Governor Henry McMaster signed Bill S. 11 at the state house on August 25th. The bill allows employees in the state of South Carolina paid family leave for the birth of a child, adoption of a child, and fostering of a child. This follows McMaster's call for a family leave bill in March 2020.
The paid family leave bill includes:
Birth of a child
- Six weeks of paid leave for the employee who gives birth
- Two weeks of paid leave for the employee who does not give birth but is a new parent
Adoption of a child
- Six weeks of paid leave for state employees who are the primary caregivers of the child
- Two weeks of paid leave for the employee who is not primarily responsible for the care of the child
Fostering a child
- Two weeks of leave for employees who foster
This bill will go into effect on October 1st, 2022. This bill helps families and helps the state retain its best employees with an additional benefit.
Benefits Administration Outsourcing With GMS
As a business owner, it’s crucial to keep and attract quality employees so you can continue to grow your business. However, offering a quality benefits program is becoming increasingly expensive. Implementing benefits within your business can be a timely process. At GMS, our benefits outsourcing services allow your business to provide competitive, cost-effective benefits while you focus on growing your business. Learn how GMS can help you with added bills and ever-changing laws and regulations. Contact us today.