True or false: You can’t do anything to manage your company’s unemployment tax rates?
If you answered true, you answered incorrectly. But take heart because:
- Many other business owners would have also answered “true”
- There is actually a lot you can do to manage unemployment tax rates
Unemployment Tax: It’s All in the Details
When it comes time to let an employee go, the best thing you can do to protect yourself from unemployment claims happens well before you want to terminate the employee and everything needs to be in writing. You’ll be much more likely to win the case if you provided your former employer with documentation like:
- Employee handbooks, signed by the employee
- Detailed job descriptions, signed by the employee
- Written warnings with employee sign-off
- Progressive disciplinary actions
How a PEO Can Help
PEOs like GMS take an active approach in managing risks related to unemployment claims. In the process, PEOs save you time, increase cashflow, and eliminate your liability. Best of all, you retain full control over your employees.
More specifically, GMS helps by:
- Writing employee handbooks and job descriptions for you
- Actively consult throughout the employee discipline and termination process
- Provide representation on your behalf at claims hearings
- Administering and reports all your company’s unemployment taxes
Your Next Step is Easy
Okay, so we started this post with a tricky question. Now it’s time to end it with an easy one.
True or false: It’s time to call GMS?
See! We told you that would be an easy one. Here’s our number: 330-659-0100